Monday, November 07, 2005

Sources

My core belief about treating others as I would have them do unto me reflects numerous religious traditions, so many that it is virtually a universal rule of conduct among humans. Most readers will be at least familiar with the belief as expressed in The Bible, Talmud and Koran. My belief in the unalienable rights of individuals will be familiar to Americans who have read the Declaration of Independence.

Fewer are likely to know about the source for my belief in the Social Contract. I first learned the concept studying political philosophy in college when I read The Social Contract published by Jean Jacques Rousseau in 1762. While no work of philosophy is perfect and undisputed, this work clearly articulates the role of the individual in an organized society. Readers interested in learning more about the concept can begin here. Information about Rousseau can be found here. The work remains in publication and can be found at Amazon.com and, no doubt, other booksellers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home