Friday, May 26, 2006

Auditors

Back from my conference and catching up on the news. The conference was the National Association of Local Government Auditors. Not a particularly exciting organization until you realize that virtually all of its members report on government performance, not just financial statements. I’ve been a performance auditor my entire career; it’s a fine way to promote accountability and effective government without suffering the slings and arrows of electoral politics. I strongly believe that all public funds should be used effectively for the public good. Government auditors, when they are good (and I would argue that the local government auditors who make up this organization are among the best) help citizens and elected understand how their tax dollars are used. Transparent government. We need lots more of it.

Check out the member links to see what this group does. I particularly recommend the Maricopa County Arizona Accoutability Report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home