Saturday, April 07, 2007

Word to Word with John McCain

John McCain is running as the War Candidate, presenting himself as the the effective warrior who will bring victory to America. I, for one, am pleased to see McCain finally being all he can be. As a constituent, I look forward to a steady dialogue with my senator on this important topic. The first installment previously appeared in this space. So will future installments.

McCain's embrace of war is his attempt to call America to her destiny, to be Winston Churchill standing resolute against imminent danger. But if he will send our sons and daughters to war, then he must also tell us what their deaths will achieve that other solutions will not. MeCain claims that more agression, more troops and more resolve will prevent catastrophe. He says this after four years of catastrophe that ranks among the greatest strategic blunder in American history and the greatest failure presidential leadership since Buchanan. I do not think any political arrangements brokered by American forces and their Green Zone Iraqi allies will last much beyond our departure. The Iraqis live there, they can afford to wait us out. So John McCain needs to be describing his end game for Iraq as he calls the nation to this task. I think his fear of terrorism is far too great and that America has non-military options that can do at least as well as our occupation. I sure plan to press these and other questions to him.

This debate seems to be my destiny, an opportunity to serve my country in a meaningful way. In that respect, debating John McCain on the goals and purposes of American foreign policy may be a step in my journey to and from Vietnam. I went to Vietnam because my country asked me to and I was afraid to say no. I wanted to have a voice in my country and feared refusing service would limit my voice. So I went and passively endured the loss of my humanity. Having lost my innocence for that reason, I redeem my honor by speaking out as a veteran against war and mindless militarism. I have done so in various ways over the years, starting with a Veterans for McGovern bumpersticker and my LTE of the Richmond Times-Dispatch protesting William Westmoreland's "stabbed in the back speech" at the dedication of the memorial to Virginia's Vietnam War dead. Debating John McCain will be nothing new. I am pleased that fate has brought me to McCain as a constituent at this time. If the truth be known, though, I'd rather have a senator that does not so reflexively support war and aggression as the deciding factor in America's future. But circumstances brought McCain and me together in Arizona. So be it.

My education, including Vietnam, and professional experience have taught me many things. One of the most important is to use scarce resources wisely for the common good, an ideal embodied in the Preamble to the US Constitution. I have followed public affairs actively since the mid 1960's. I was trained to identify and measure results of public sector efforts. I believe I am as well qualified as John McCain to determine my country's future. (Okay, I don't get the on-site briefings in Iraq that McCain is privy to but he doesn't seem to use that information very well so I don't think that gives him an advantage.)

When I cast a cold eye on the American occupation of Iraq, it becomes simply an effort on behalf of the nation, on my behalf and my neighbors'. Unlike building a highway or operating a library, this effort demands our lives and national honor--our soul--along with money. It's a high price to pay. My cold eye demands a return equal to the sacrifice and I see none. Perhaps I am obtuse and resistant. After all, I never thought invading Iraq was a good idea. That's not the issue now. The issue now is the way forward and certainly an unsustainable, objectionable occupation will not take anyone forward in Iraq. I want John McCain to tell me why, what good it is doing our nation? I bet this nation can achieve greater (not absolute but arguably better)security sooner by ending the occupation. I don't think John McCain can convince me otherwise. I am listening. I will also ask questions. I'm good at that.

It will be fun.


some afterthoughts:



The article about McCain has some interesting quotes, few of which give me any confidence in his judgment.

"Iraq is the most important issue facing the country," said Brian Jones, McCain's communications director. "John McCain is going to continue to talk about how we achieve victory in Iraq."

Iraq is important but THE most important? Umm, I think sustaining life, prosperity and economic justice in a changing world is more important. I think that helping America remain competitive in a global economy. Iraq has oil. Sure we need oil but didn't Republicans used to talk about markets? Isn't oil and resource allocation a market issue? What's with the armies and blowing shit up? I don't believe that is a particularly efficient market mechanism. And most of the violence and mayhem in Iraq is home grown. What terrorist threats that are likely to result from the Iraq civil war should be within the capability of a powerful First World nation, especially if we work with other nations of the world.

"Of course I am going to misspeak and I've done it on numerous occasions and I probably will do it in the future."

Not a quality I normally look for in a candidate. But at least he's telling the truth. We here in Arizona know that his military judgment questionable ever since he became close personal friends with fellow fighter pilot and flying ace, Duke Tully, publisher of the Arizona Republic,godfather for a McCain child, who turned out to have acquired all of his military background at surplus stores. McCain just cannot see past lies. No wonder he misspeaks.

"This is about moving forward and doing what's necessary to make John McCain president," said Terry Nelson, his campaign manager. "We want to talk broadly about the challenges this country faces. That has not been done in a systematic way by any candidate, so far."

It's always been about making something of John McCain, war hero, congressman, senator and now president. If McCain, who has supported this war from the beginning hasn't systematically explained the why this war makes sense for America, I don't think he's likely to make a good case after for years of failure.

And finally, what is the etiquette for publishing correspondence with a public offical. I consider that correspondence to be public record. Do I need to inform him that his words, or lack thereof, will appear on this blog? I am open to advice. I most certainly want to do right by everyone in this matter.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i talk sometimes with people (my near neighbor especially "the god of all ropers") about the bank of honor that can accumulate over a lifetime, and yet, disappear in an instant. the maddening thing about mcCain is that he is personally courageous. even before his captivity he was known as an effectively brave combat pilot. because of his family (two flag officers) he was privy to information far beyond those of many officers in the line of battle. he was one of the driving forces in the developement of the "iron hand" missions where a few insanely brave A-6 crews would form hunter/killer teams. the "hunters" would bait the SAM's into taking ill-advised shots that would expose their positions to the "killers." it was a tactic that relied on the cool courage of the participants. after his downing, his conduct was, by even the reports of his captors, exlemplary. his record of service while in uniform is astonishingly without blemish. from midshipman to flag rank he served with distinction and honor. (i had my moments of all extremes, i could be a handful to the enemy and to our very own side) his record in public office has been decidedly less honorable. he has shown little consistency beyond a gleaming, naked ambition for still more power. he has shown himself willing to sacrifice his personal integrity, which after being forged in the crucible of hanoi you would expect to be diamond hard steel, to that ambition. he has sucked up to the developers who mine our water, he has kow-towed to the very religious "agents of intolerance" that slandered him and his family, he has sold his name and his honor for far less than the usual thirty pieces of silver.

i oppose his candidacy while at the same time grieving for the tarnished reputation of a once brave warrior. the whole time i am in opposition i am wishing that he was capable of the leadership he once demonstrated.

the problem with the bank of honor is that it can be bankrupted so easily.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Rez Dog said...

Your comment offers a much needed perspective to my rantings. McCain did serve with courage and honor. I tend to disparage pilots because they did not engage the enemy directly and slept in beds at night. But John McCain did come face to face with the enemy and suffered harshly because of his lineage. Unfortunately, I have not seen that same honor and courage in his political career. I am also amazed that he didn't draw any lessons from his experience except to hit harder next time.

8:32 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i was especially apalled at his support of the torturing of prisoners. i find that reprehensible. it is one of the worst aspects of this conflict. we have lost our accumulation of honor in war that goes all the way back to washington in the revolution. washington resisted pressure from the continental congress, his own staff, and fellow commanders and without exception insisted upon humane treatment of british and hessian prisoners. the policy proved to be stunningly wise and tacticly brilliant as the war ground on. many hessians realized that they would receive better treatment from the americans than they could expect from their own officers and non-coms, they began to desert in regiments after murdering their officers and non-coms. they had heard stories of free land for the taking in western pennsylvania and the ohio valley with whole townships of german speaking people waiting to welcome them to the land of opportunity. there was an exceptionally insightful article written as the abu ghraib scandal broke by tony swofford jarhead. he wrote that the policies of bush, rumsfeld and abizaid had taken our once proud standing as "the army of choice to surrender too" away. maybe forever.

when i am confronted by men like mcCain who once behaved with such courage and honor and are now reduced to lying, pandering bastards i grieve. he should have remembered the guiding tenets of any cadet or midshipman "a midshipman shall not lie, cheat, or steal; nor tolerate those who do."

that the public relations stunt of his market visit resulted in further risk to the soldiers involved in his protection detail, that it resulted in at least 34 deaths in that very market (including the poor soul who sold that one idiot his 5 for 5 bucks carpets) in the immediate aftermath should have mcCain on his knees to what ever god he worships begging forgiveness. oh wait, i forgot. he worships at the altar of ambition and those deaths were merely the demanded sacrifice.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home