Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Another Watchtower

Posting my recent piece about Jimi Hendrix's death and the video of his version of "All Along the Watchtower" led me to look up a version by Barbara Keith that I remember hearing in the 70'swhen I lived in Richmond, Virginia.  I recall being blown away by her voice but never could locate the album.  The announcer who played it on WGOE said it was hard to come by and after exhausting the options available to me then, I gave up.

Since just about everything is available in some form on the internet, I found it in about 30 seconds.  Listening to Barbara Keith after four decades brought back some memories, certainly enjoyable, even if isn't as dramatically overpowering as I remembered. 



The video lacks much in the way of drama but no one was thinking video in the early 70's.  Besides, I kind of like the soothing revolutions of vinyl on a good turntable.

Once I found Barbara Keith I looked up WGOE which was a progressive rock daylight only radio station for much of the time I lived in Richmond.  Since I had only an AM radio in my car for most of those years, it was a welcome alternative to the Top 40 format that dominated AM radio in those days.  It wasn't quite up to par with WHFS-FM which I could hear when visiting friends in DC but it sure made Richmond that much more enjoyable.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Syrbal/Labrys said...

You are right, that is absolutely marvelous!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home